Hi,

On 12/27/05, Alex Malinovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 02:26 +0100, Nils Erik Svangård wrote:
--snip--
> I have three computers one at my parents (Win XP), one in a server
> rack witch I have root access via SSH(debian stable), and my home
> computer (debian unstable) which seem to only have port 80 open, I
> think my ISP have a firewall, but I dont know.
> I usually do portgatway yes on my server in sshd.conf and forward my
> port 22 on my home computer via port 4567 on my server computer, now
> however all my port forwarding stuff seems to be dead, I cant access
> my home computer :/
> I want to ssh in to my computer and restart my port forwardning
> processes.

Ok, just to make sure I'm understanding you here. We're dealing with 3
machines. The XP one that your parents have isn't all that important.
For the other two, I'm kind of confused what you meant. This is what I'm
understanding:

1) A Debian server somewhere with port 4567 being forwarded to port 22
on your home PC. (This server is NOT at your home)

Yes.

2) A Debian PC at home with only port 80 publicly available, and with
port 22 (presumably) open only to connections from the IP of box #1.

Yes, but port 22 is not open. I have done a nmap -v from  computer 1) which reveals that only port 80 is accesible.  I did port forwarding by doing ssh -l username -L4567:localhost:22 computer1.name.com. Which opened a ssh tunnel so that I could access port 22 on my home computer.

If this is correct, then you can just connect to box #1 and do a direct
SSH connection to #2. If the port-forwarding isn't working it's either
because #1 isn't doing the forwarding correctly, or because #2 is down.
If I'm not understanding you correctly here, then please give us some
more details on how exactly the two boxes are connected.

> I have a ssh connection from my home computer to my server via ssh,
> can I take that process over somehow to restart the stuff?
> I have of course root password to my home computer and my user account
> on that computer. Is there a way to perhaps telnet to port 80 and
> somehow get a login prompt, from which I can log in as root or any
> user?

I don't believe there's any way to do this. SSH server and client
processes only work in the direction they're supposed to, to the best of
my knowledge.

Yes, it would have been strange if that had worked .
Thanks for the input.
/nisse

But if I got the part in #1 right, then you shouldn't need to get to
this point anyway.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837