I'm still looking for any guidance on this topic.

In summary:

Can one run Sarge-built binaries on Woody?
Can one run Woody-built binaries on Sarge?

In the same context, how well would Debian 2.x-built binaries work on 3.x and vice versa?

For what it's worth, I soon have to establish some Debian binary-to-test-system rev-control policies before I got into first round test on my group's software.

-Matt