On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 01:52:10AM -0600, Seth Goodman wrote:
> [...]
Knoppix _was_ using a port of Red Hat Anaconda. I'm not sure what
is used now. The Etch installer is significantly better than the
Sarge installer - I used a daily build from http://cdimage.debian.org
the other day to rebuild a machine and was pleasantly surprised.

Do bear in mind, though, that Debian needs to support more architectures
than anyone else. Consistency across the installer for e.g. Sparc and
Alpha has made my installs on those architectures so much more
straightforward. It's also necessary to support hardware which has
no mouse or graphics card, for example, and to support serial console: