On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 12:07:18PM +0000, Richard Lyons wrote:
} On Thursday, 12 January 2006 at 18:41:52 -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
[...]
} > 5) spamassassin user_prefs -- I shouldn't discount this, since I had
} >                               developed it over the course of years on a
} >                               system someone else administered, but it was
} >                               incremental improvements.
}
} I'd be interested to see the results of such long-considered
} improvements (privately if you don't want to post it here). The pressure
} is off since I installed greylistd, but I intend to have another go at
} spamassassin soon -- my last attempt was abandonned after I brought the
} server to its knees!
[...]

Well, I have some 90000 spam messages I've trained spamassassin on, so I
kind of like it. My .spamassassin/user_prefs, minus my whitelisted email
addresses, is below. The important stuff is the scoring adjustments for the
Bayesian thresholds.

} richard
--Greg

# SpamAssassin user preferences file.  See 'man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for
# details of what can be tweaked.
#*
#* Note: this file is not read by SpamAssassin until copied into the user
directory
#* Instead, it will be copied
#* to a user's home directory, allowing them to perform personalised
#* customisation.  If you want to make changes to the site-wide defaults,
#* create a file in /etc/spamassassin or /etc/mail/spamassassin instead.

use_bayes               1
bayes_auto_learn        1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0.0
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 8.0
bayes_ignore_header X-Virus-Scanned
bayes_ignore_header X-Amavis-Alert

# How many hits before a mail is considered spam.
required_hits           5
#rewrite_header Subject *SPAM*
ok_languages            en
ok_locales              en
report_safe             0
add_header all Report _REPORT_

# Whitelist and blacklist addresses are now file-glob-style patterns, so
# "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", or "*.domain.net" will all work.
# whitelist_from        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

unwhitelist_from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
blacklist_from [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# Add your own customised scores for some tests below.  The default scores are
# read from the installed spamassassin rules files, but you can override them
# here.  To see the list of tests and their default scores, go to
# http://spamassassin.org/tests.html .
#
# score SYMBOLIC_TEST_NAME n.nn

score IN_REP_TO 0