On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:12:10 +0100
Sonixxfx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Everyone thanks for your help. I think aptitude is the most appropiate for
> me.
> What is the problem with updating from cron? I don't mind which packages are
> updated as long as they are up to date, as I am running a web server. Are
> there certain packages that can break my system pherhaps? Is it a bit better
> to run "apt-get upgrade" than "apt-get dist-upgrade" when I am updating
> automaticly anyhow?
[snip]

Don't remember what you are running (stable, testing, ...), but considering you
run stable without changing your apt preferences a dist-upgrade will upgrade
you to 'etch' when it will be release. While at first this seems like a good
idea, such a major change should not be done unattended. Automatically
upgrading with stable is not so dangerous as it would be with testing or
unstable, as you get only security updates. But you never know... And the
logging is a good idea.

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert
Einstein)