I did as you mention by booting from a knoppix cd and try to check the hard drive partitions with chkrootkit. Chkrootkit however did not run in the same typical manner as it does when I invoke it from my Debian console: it complained about not being able to do everything it's supposed to, I can't remember the details.

Also I gave a quick try to install some virus scanner from the Knoppix software install menu, but I lost my interest into figuring all that out and did not perform a virus scan.

I did not find any specific instructions on google for dealing with compromised systems using knoppix, other than what I tried to do.

Does anyone have any links or specific hints regarding this??

Bart

I'd not run anything else from a hard drive I suspect is
compromised.  Reboot with a liveCD and examine it from
there.

Tony