roberto wrote:
> Hello
> actually i use a desktop with 1GB of memory installed but my kernel
> installed from debian sarge repositories takes into account 885MB
> only. How can i rescue the remaining size of memory??
> In some other post i read it'd be enough to "apt install" the
> 2.6.8-2-686 instead of my current version 2.6.8-2-386 which should
> contain by default the highmem option configured.
> I really hope i 'd not have to re-compile the whole kernel again...
> ~:$ uname -a
> Linux my_name 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Thu May 19 17:40:50 JST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> thank you for any help to solve this issue

As Richard said, the most likely reason is that high memory support is
not compiled into the kernel.  The kernel can support maximum memory
sizes of 1GB, 4GB, or 64GB.  I'd be surprised if Debian kernels
supported only 1GB of memory.  If this is the case, the only solution
would be to recompile the kernel.