On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Micha Feigin wrote:
> If the battery is Li-Ion then their nice due to relatively high capacity and
> presumably no memory but they have a lifespan of about two to two and a half
> years without regard to usage (storing them half charged when not used is best
> though).

T20s have Li-ion inteligent batteries.

Hmm, if you use them exactly the wrong way (keep them inside the laptop
where it is warm/hot, and fully charged to capacity almost all the time, and
always do full-drains for some stupid reason), they won't last even one year
without degrading to half capacity, pehaps worse.

Storing Li-ion at ~15C (well don't go below 10C, if it freezes, you may need
a new one...) with 40% charge should let them have a better shelf-life.
They will still degrade, and you must take a look on the charge from time to
time, because if it gets too low...

I must find out what to do with Li-polymer batteries, though :(  The one I
have didn't handle the storage at 15C very nicely (depleted all of its
charge).

> One of the problems (although this can also be viewed as a good point)
> with IBM is that they run constantly through the battery and not directly
> of the input power. At least newer ones don't work without the battery
> even if you have power. This is done for surge protection and to function
> as a UPS AFAIK but

This does not hold true for my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T43 (model 2687), and
that's a reasonably new machine (launched 2005-02).  What machines exibit
the behaviour you describe?

> I am not sure which system the t20 uses but if its acpi (check if you
> have /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info) then its not debian thats reporting the
> battery state. I'm not sure how apm works.

T20 has ACPI (according to thinkwiki.org), but it probably has APM as well.

> I just replaced the battery on my laptop that after three years started
> lasting 25 minutes on a charge. Now the new one reads
>
> design capacity:         65140 mWh
> last full capacity:      76560 mWh
>
> Strange hah?

Is it brand new, or was it reconditioned?  10Wh is a lot of capacity to
deviate from the design predictions...

  Henrique Holschuh