On Friday 24 February 2006 11:51, Chris Lale wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
[snip]
> > A couple of thoughts come to mind. I don't kow if they will help you.
> >
> > 1. Use
> >
> > aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade
> >
> > instead of aptitude update && aptitude upgrade. This will deal
> > intelligently with dependendies.
>
> My understanding (and what the man page says)  that dist-upgrade is more
> aggressive.  Is that wrong?

upgrade will only install newer versions of packages.  If package foo
changes its dependencies from bar to barc2a (for a C++ ABI transition, for
example), then upgrade will not attempt to upgrade package foo.
Dist-upgrade is allowed to install new packages and remove old (hopefully
only obsolete) ones.  So dist-upgrade will upgrade foo, install barc2a, and
remove bar.

> > 2. I have always found apt-get totally reliable during upgrade. I
> > have had a couple of frights using Synaptic or Aptitude for upgrades.
>
> I was using apt, but I've heard that the "official" and preferred way is
> aptitude and that they handle some issues differently, so the point is
> to pick one and stick with it.  Is this still the case?

Aptitude and apt-get do indeed handle dependencies differently.  Well, they
have a different set of logic to try to resolve dependencies.  Sometimes
that leads to different results, sometimes that leads to more pain doing a
specific circular upgrade with one versus the other.  People's experiences
and impressions vary wildly.

Hope that helps,
Justin