On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 08:37:44PM +0100, nikias wrote:
> hello,
>
> gdm starts default as my login manager.
> The problem is that it doesn't use the correct proportions of my screen.
> Although everything looks sharp, I have to scroll to see the whole screen.
> After I log in, Gnome starts and uses the correct size.
>
> Does anyone have an idea where I have to look to modify it?

Maybe you have a wrong resolution in a Modes line of the file
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

For example, with the Mode line below, I think I would get the effect
you describe. Leaving out the resolution "1280x960", which is wrong for
my monitor, would fix it.

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1280x960" "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection