Hi

Thank you :-)

I'm just running a server for some friends and family so it's not that important.

I stopped using ftp for some time and just scp/sftp but some compained about poor scp/sftp support in Dreamweaver so I put ftp back online.

But I don't wan't all of them to have shell access though so for now I just gave these users /bin/false (and updated /etc/shells thanks to Mike Bird :-)

My server has grown larger and larger with quite a few domains now and still rising but it's still just for "trused" friends etc but still i dont want all of them to have shell access.

So since my service has grown a little bit more than first expected I will indeed check out your package suggestions because they look like being exactly what I need.

And yes I considering switching to proftpd but havn't got the time yet and I also need to setup my own DNS service using BIND... And probably switch from Exim to Postfix for the MTA.

And by the way I use SSL on all MySQL administration through phpMyAdmin :-)

-Øyvind

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
Øyvind Lode wrote:
Hello all

I running a webserver with multiple users and domains.
I want some users to have no shell access, only FTP access to upload
websites and chroot'ed in their home directory.

I have all the domains located in /home/www/domainname1/ ,
/home/www/domainname2/ etc.

I give the user proper access to the domain under /home/www/.
I chroot'ed the user in /home/www/domainname1/
I gave shell /bin/false

User is denied shell access but also FTP!!!
If I give /bin/bash and test the user is logged inn and chroot'ed in
/home/www/domainame1/

I'm using vsFTPd.

How can I deny shell access and allow FTP?

You might get better answers on the debian-isp list.

Have you considered any of the following?

1) Using a package like scponly or rssh? (You probably should not let
your users use an insecure protocol like ftp anyways)
2) Using an ftp server that supports virtual users (not sure if vsftpd
does) so that they don't even have accounts on the machine?
3) Using something like linux-virtual-server to give each user their own
disk space?

-Roberto