> I can't achieve to get good performance from my ati radeon 7500.

[...]

> 8036 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1607.024 FPS

Would you expect more from such card? I get...

 3137 frames in 5.0 seconds = 627.234 FPS

...on GeForce2 MX200 32MB. So your 1600 FPS seems normal to me.

> what is surprising me is that glxinfo says DRI is working :
>> glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: Yes

So it works.

> I don't understand what's going on...
> Please help !

"glxgears" is a very lousy way to measure performance. It only uses a
few very basic OpenGL commands, and the number of FPS depends more on
general load of your system, not the capabilities of graphics card.

You will never be able to reach such high number of FPS in general use
anyway. If you want to test performance, you should install some
graphics intensive game (Scorched3D, VegaStrike) and see how that runs.