On 15 Apr 2006, Gonzalo HIGUERA D?AZ wrote:
> 2006--04-15 15:00 +0200, Gonzalo HIGUERA D?AZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > and to make matters worse something I've done to
> > > try to solve the problem has made matters worse. I'm now getting a new
> > > error about not being able to move /var/log/Xorg.log.0.
> > >
> > > I'm seriously thinking of purging all the packages related to X and
> > > starting again, except that I don't know which they are.
> >
> > xorg*, I think. I hope that if you have to resort to that, it will
> > solve your problems.
>
> xserver-xorg*, rather (though if the dependancies are installed and
> uninstalled automatically --as with aptitude-- clearing xorg should
> show the rest).
>
> --
> Gonzalo HIGUERA D?AZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unfortunately I ended by removing ALL the X-related stuff, which will
have to be reinstalled later. Meanwhile, I still cannot get X to work. I
reinstalled xorg but the same errors recur, i.e.

1. Cannot mv /var/log/Xorg.log.o /var/log/Xorg.log.0

If I try as root, the above error does not occur but instead I get:

2. could not open default font fixed.

I'm not sure if it is possible to revert to the earlier xfree86 while
this is going on.

--
Anthony Campbell - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian