Michael Schurter wrote:
> listrcv wrote:

> >> Actually, I found a great Ubuntu forum on the topic, and the
command
> >> "dmraid -ay" autodetected the RAID without problems.  Quite
> >> impressive!  I was able to copy files off of the RAID and then I'm

> >> going to set it back up in Windows so both Windows and Linux can
see it.

> > Huh? How does that work? Did you set it up as Windoze software RAID
on
> > the old board (independant of the controller on that board), and
Ubuntu
> > features access to such a RAID?
>
> Windows requires software to see the RAID, however I'm not sure if it

> was a software RAID.  Sorry for lack of detail, but its a point on
which
> I'm still unclear myself.
>
> I do know there's a very simple RAID setup screen you can access
after
> BIOS during boot, so the motherboard has some innate RAID
capabilities.
>   Obviously I'm not an expert in the ways of RAID arrays.  :)  All I
> know is the result was pretty miraculous.
>
> Michael Schurter

I'd like to just post some general info about what I've found out about
'dmraid' (Device-Mapper RAID);
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
http://www.linuxmanpages.com/man8/dmraid.8.php

and a very detailed and current link;
"Serial ATA (SATA) chipsets — Linux support status"
(Revised: Mon Mar 13 10:09:21 PST 2006)
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Also - from what I know about Windoze XP and RAID; XP requires you to
"Press F6 to load any 3rd party SCSI/RAID [SATA] Drivers"  during the
very beginning of the Installation/Setup process. This is usually done
using a Floppy disk, but one can also 'slipstream' the whole
installation, including drivers for SATA/RAID/SCSI controllers.

Besides the fact that many Mobo Onboard RAID Controllers utilize and
purport to be "hardware' RAID, and while they do utilize a Chip (either
part of the Chipset, or a Separate 3rd Party Chip) - they are usually
"software' based and run (emulated in a sense). I *guess* similar to
what Winmodems do/did.

Negating that circumstance - there's also windoze so-called "Dynamic
Disks", which ranges from using DynamicDisks as a LVM, to creating
softRAID arrays - but which have many limitations as far as
creating/breaking, setting up, reverting back to "Basic Disk" ...not to
mention that I *think* one needs to use a *Server Based* Windoze
installation (Win2K or Win2K3), just to set up a software RAID using
XP.

Regards