Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 05:54 -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> > Perhaps try;
> > if there's a "Load Setup Optimized Defaults" (BUT... note ALL your
> > orig. settings Prior).
> I'll do that.  There isn't a lot in the BIOS though, it's extremely
> basic.  I borrowed my old 512mb dimm back today and tried it on its
own
> - didn't resolve the issue.
>
> > May even look into Flashing that BIOS,
> I'll try that next - maybe something got messed up somehow.

[snip]
> > try;
> > # hdparm -I /dev/hda
> >
> > By chance - is that a Matsushita DVD-RAM drive ? (or similar?)

> Yes it is.  What's the significance?

I aplolgize, I do not have any specific details --  BUT that particular
DVD drive sure shows up a LOT, even on windoze forums/NGs/usenet as
having a "plethera" of issues associated with it. I was jabbing in the
dark...and it turns out, a replacement DVD drive (or a *serious* in
depth look into possible rootkits - *DRM* related nonsense may be
necessary).

Is that a Dual-boot? (winblows 2K/XP) [+] GNU/Linux?

Do you have software like "daemon tools" or "alcohol120" installed ?
Are you even aware of the SONY *rootkit* debacle related to DRM, that
was exposed circa November, 2005 ?

This may be mere speculation, but gotta say, overall the "coincidences"
appear to be compounding (associated) in many things I've read
lately....

> theluggage ~ # grep hdc /var/log/dmesg
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x3018-0x301f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hdc: MATSHITAUJ-840D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, (U)DMA
> theluggage ~ #
>
> Output of hdparm -I /dev/hda - I'm not sure what to look for:
>
> theluggage ~ # hdparm -I /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>
> ATA device, with non-removable media
>         Model Number:       ST9808211A
>         Serial Number:      3LF2LL6S
>         Firmware Revision:  3.02
> Standards:
>         Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 2
>         Supported: 6 5 4 3
> Configuration:
>         Logical         max     current
>         cylinders       16383   65535
>         heads           16      1
>         sectors/track   63      63
>         --
>         CHS current addressable sectors:    4128705
>         LBA    user addressable sectors:  156301488
>         LBA48  user addressable sectors:  156301488
>         device size with M = 1024*1024:       76319 MBytes
>         device size with M = 1000*1000:       80026 MBytes (80 GB)
> Capabilities:
>         LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
>         bytes avail on r/w long: 4      Queue depth: 1
>         Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
> minimum
>         R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
>         Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x8080)
>         Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 0
>         DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
>              Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
>         PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
>              Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow
control=120ns
> Commands/features:
>         Enabled Supported:
>            *    READ BUFFER cmd
>            *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
>            *    Look-ahead
>            *    Write cache
>            *    Power Management feature set
>                 Security Mode feature set
>            *    SMART feature set
>            *    FLUSH CACHE EXT command
>            *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
>                 Device Configuration Overlay feature set
>            *    48-bit Address feature set
>                 SET MAX security extension
>            *    Advanced Power Management feature set
> [...]

I *was* looking for some "Microcode load" (such as the "DOWNLOAD
MICROCODE cmd" above), but I don't think they still do 'that' with the
BIOS anymore, but *other* HP specific tricks, I'm sure they implement,
just like every OEM does....to be sure the Hardware matches the
"Software" one tries to install. HP/Compaq/Dell/IBM/Toshiba Recovery
Disks and Recovery Partitions ring a bell ?