On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 12:56:27AM +0100, Doofus wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:00:54PM -0700, Xplicit Language wrote:
> >
> >>also is
> >>anyone familiar with wine?
> >
> >As a user.  What's your question?  If it's generally how to use it, 'wine
> ><windows binary name>'.  Not all windows programs work under wine, and
> >some require tinkering.
> >

> How mature is wine these days? The last time I looked at it (admittedly
> a long time ago) it was still a windows 3.1 emulator (when 32 bit
> windows had long been released). It wasn't particularly stable either.

It runs a lot of stuff written for the 32 bit windows systems now.  I
haven't had it in itself be unstable in awhile, just not fully support
some programs.

> I've never really seen the point. If windows is your thing, why not use
> windows?

Generally I agree with you.  Some people are tied for work reasons to a
Windows application or two, though, despite their preference for Free
software.

> I'm not trying to bait anyone here. I'd be interested to read of what
> graphical windows software people out there are usefully running under a
> linux roof.

I've mostly used it to run my extensive collection of win98 games and
the GURPS Character Builder (though the 4th edition one does not work
under wine).  I've also seen it used for Lotus Notes by a person whose
company requires its use.

Now, however, most of my gaming need is filled by nethack, so I don't
use wine much anymore.  But not everybody has the option, such as that
person who need Lotus Notes for work.

--
Christopher Nelson -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]