On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 20:56 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 06:15:40PM -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

> > > I suspect they were discussing CAT-5 ethernet cabling Fernando, not RS232.
> > >

> > why do you say that, because of the DCE, DTE noums? They apply to any
> > cabling. It's something universal.
>
> DTE means Data Terminal Equipment.
> DCE means Data Communicatins Equipmend.
>
> In the old days data terminals (like teletypes) coonected to
> communications networks (like telephone systems or telegraph services or
> the like.
>
> The terminology is still valid when devices connect to specific
> communications services, especially when the protocols or wiring is
> asymmetric.  It's not restricted to RS232.  I know that when I was
> working on X.26 protocols, the terminology was used between computers
> and the network switches they connected to.
>
> I wish I wish that they would make all the connectors and protocols
> symmetric so we could just plug anything into anything without the
> hassle of determining which was DTE or DCE.  Technically feasible.
> But telecom systems like to maintain a technological distinction between
> themselves and their customers.  As if the hardware cares who is the
> user and who is not.
>
> -- hendrik

I understand your concern, but the matter is in the clock.
You must define who generates, regenerates and who extends the clock.

But I do agree that it would be better to exist something simpler,
although I am not sure it's possible.
--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron