Paul Johnson wrote:
On Saturday 22 April 2006 21:09, Michael M. wrote:
Aunt Matilda is only vaguely aware of what an operating system is, and has no idea that any alternatives exist.

Give Aunt Matilda some credit. Odds are if she watches Star Trek or pays any attention to the evening news, she knows it from Captain Sisco out of uniform pitching servers for IBM or from newsmodels talking about it on TV (ever since Linus moved to Beaverton, Linux makes the local news on a infrequent but regular basis, so my viewpoint may be skewed on this).

Well, my mom asked me what a "blog" was a few months ago because she heard some newsmodels talking about blogs on TV. So I guess these things can filter down eventually. But she lived in Hillsboro, one town west of Beaverton, and I daresay she had not heard of Linux. My cousin, a Machead from way back, lives in Aloha (kind of wedged in between Hillsboro and Beaverton), and I don't think she's any more than vaguely aware of Linux. I'll have to ask her. I'm in Portland, on the other side of the center of the Linux universe from Hillsboro, so I guess you could say my family revolves around Linux, geographically speaking, like the planets around the sun (except that we don't actually change positions). I think I'm the only one who knows what it is, let alone uses it.

Now Nike and Intel, on the other hand ... everyone here knows them!

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute