On 4/25/06, Paul E Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have checked java and preferences. I see a window asking for permission
> to install software. I click on the button that gives permission. There
> is a short delay, after which the 'Extensions' window is still empty.
> Shouldn't all installed plugins be listed in this window? That seems to
> be implied by the help instructions for removing plugins. (It does confirm
> my memory that I've never gotten any plugin installed.)

If you're trying to install from an "untrusted" site, then Firefox
prompts you for what to do (as you've noted).  However, it *doesn't*
then do the thing you'd asked it to do before it asked you if it was
OK to do it.

Ahem.

That is to say, after trying to install an extension and then telling
Firefox it's OK to install from that site, you have to install it
*again*.  Granting permissions isn't treated as a step in the
installation process -- it's a handler for a failure mode.

Your best bet is usually to try to find extensions from the official
site -- the one you're directed to when you click "Get More
Extensions" from the Extensions dialog.  Those won't ask for
permission.  I highly recommend Web Developer.  One of its features is
to edit the CSS of a page that you're currently viewing.  That could
include wiping out all of the style information, in drastic cases.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh