David Baron wrote:
This medium makes it practical.

Which tools are best and simplest for this?

(I do not like partimage because it insists on identical sizes for restoring and this might not be the case as I have learned in moving my partitions around.)

Not so AFAIK: just the partition to restore from cannot be bigger that the one restored to.

It's main *con* seems to me that you cannot use partimage on a running system.

I use mondo and how to use it to burn DVD's was posted in February of 2006: