Well, it is not really that big a problem. However, I *would* like to know why it doesn't work. The only feature I'm missing without xdm is a convenient button to click to shutdown my computer, as an alternative to "shutdown -h now". I know xdm doesn't have one built-in, but it wasn't too hard to add one. This is actually very handy, in case my wife needs reboot into Windows when I've left the machine on.

Cheers,

Tyler