Adam Funk wrote:
I recently used the `aptitude hold` command.  It seems to be doing
what I expected but I'm curious -- what are the differences between
this and pinning a package in /etc/apt/preferences, and where does
aptitude hold store the information?  (`grep -r PACKAGENAME /etc/apt/`
turns up nothing.)

From aptitiude's manual
(file:/usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s02s03.html#pkgCmdHold)

As with Keep, any action that was to be performed on the package is cancelled. In addition, the package will not be automatically upgraded [a] until the hold is removed. You may cancel a hold by issuing the Install command.

[a] That is, it will be unaffected by Actions->Mark Upgradable (U) or the dist-upgrade or upgrade command-line actions.

More on pinning can be found in the apt-howto in

file:/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.html

on your system.

file:/usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

on debian sarge.

Johannes