On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 12:34:45PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 03:09:39PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Thank you for you assistance, Florian.  I am attaching the output of
> > > apt-key list and sources.list.
> > >

> > > /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
> > > --------------------
> > > pub   1024R/1DB114E0 2004-01-15 [expired: 2005-01-27]
> > > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2004) <[EMAIL
> > > PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > > pub   1024D/4F368D5D 2005-01-31 [expired: 2006-01-31]
> > > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2005) <[EMAIL
> > > PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > > pub   1024D/B5F5BBED 2005-04-24
> > > uid                  Debian AMD64 Archive Key
> > > <debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>
> > > sub   2048g/34FC6FE5 2005-04-24
> > >
> > > pub   1024D/2D230C5F 2006-01-03 [expires: 2007-02-07]
> > > uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (2006) <[EMAIL
> > > PROTECTED]>
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
> > >
> > > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
> > > deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
> >
> > That looks OK to me; the only thing that I notice is that you are
> > missing Christian Marillat's signing key. I would propose to ignore this
> > for now and to just comment out the ftp.nerim.net line. (I also think
> > you have to change "sarge" to "etch" or "testing" now.) When the problem
> > with X/gdm is settled you can always get the key as described here
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2006/05/msg02309.html
> > and install what you want from Marillat's packages.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I think your problem is the result of an incomplete transition from
> > XFree86 to Xorg. With the ftp.nerim.net line commented out, try "apt-get
> > update" again. If apt is still missing some amd64-specific keys (I don't
> > know too much about those) then it should at least give you the numbers
> > of those keys. Post these numbers here and we can tell you were to find
> > the corresponding keys.
> >
> > With all keys provided you should be able to do "apt-get install -f" to
> > fix all unresolved issues. Once that works without errors and an
> > "apt-get dist-upgrade" tells you that there are no more packages to
> > upgrade, you should have a working Xorg. If that does not work we have
> > to take a closer look, but first apt-get has to bring your system into a
> > consistent state by completing the upgrade.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >           Florian
> >
> I now have all the lines in sources.list commented out except those for
> testing.  I ran "apt-get install -f" followed by "apt-get update" then
> "apt-get dist-upgrade" and, finally, "apt-get install -f" again with no
> problems.  The final "apt-get install -f" exited with "0 upgraded, 0
> newly installed, 0 removed and 0 not upgraded"

> [...]
Every now and then Mozilla locks up - i.e. mouse pointer moves on
screen, clicks still do nothing.  To escape I go to ~/.mozilla/default,
get the pid that lock points to and kill it.

It occurred to me to try to start xdm rather than gdm.  This didn't work
and strace /etc/init.d/xdm start indicated the failure was because there
is no xdm in /usr/bin/X11.  whereis xdm found it in /usr/bin but I could
not start it from there as I have been starting gdm from /usr/sbin.

As reported in another posting, posting to the list is very delayed.  I
posted another message to this thread yesterday and it has yet to show
up nor have any replies.

Tom George