On 5/23/06, Hendrik Sattler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Grant Thomas wrote:

> Quick question about the two files mentioned above.
>
> If I change my hostname, I also have to change a line in
> /etc/dhclient.conf to update my hostname on the network.

"have to" is definitely wrong.

> Is there a Debian Way to synch both of these files?

Is there a real reason to do so?
Note that /etc/hostname must not represent the name on the current network.
This is even impossible at times where more than one network is attached.

I don't understand why the hostname file "must" not represent the name
on the current network.
My aim is to have the hostname the same name as the DNS entry and DHCP
log entry.

If I were to have my hostname set to "abc" and the network sees my
hostname via dhcp as "def" than any user would see the computer and
think the computer name is "abc".
Or is my logic wrong and I just misunderstand something?