On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 09:34:24AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> It is also weird that CUPS identifies my usb printer (the Epson) with
> /dev/lp0, which is a parallel port.
>
> I'm wondering whether there is some problem with udev or the like.
> There is no /dev/usb directory, unlike the information below suggests.
> Is this because of the existence of the /udev/.static directory???
>
> Again, my system sees the printers properly (via hwinfo):

Part of the problem is apparently fixed, and it _is_ a udev rule--a
local one I had constructed for use with autofs.  I was looking for a
way to directly access camera cards in the reader found on the Epson
printer.

Either it's not specific enough, or they aren't separable.  At this
point, though, eliminating the rule suddenly allowed CUPS to properly
see the Epson's location (usb vs. parallel).

I have not tried to reinstate the rule, now that the printer
definition has been created.  That should be interesting, since the
system was working before when I first generated the udev/autofs
combination.  CUPS died much later...

The HP still eludes CUPS, though.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,