Being a person with many preoccupations, I tried to automate the
process this way:

First, I set system time to the NIST standard (presumes I'm
continually on line; if you are not, there's an alternative
command). Then I set the hardware clock to the system time. I do
this by writing a little executable:

  #! /bin/bash
  # Name this rc.time and put it into /etc/rc.d/

  rdate -s time-b.nist.gov
  clock -w

Then I put a symlink from /etc/cron.daily to this executable.

The problem with this is that I don't know how to check up on it to
ensure it is working ;-(

Haines Brown