Also sprach Colin Watson (Sat 21 Jun 02003 at 12:58:47PM +0100):
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:20:16AM -0400, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > On Fri, June 20 at  5:19 PM EDT
> > "Michael D. Schleif" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Based on the preferences set, I fail to see how my update installs so
> > > much un-stable ?!?!
> >
> > Can I ask why you do $dselect update instead of $apt-get update ?  Maybe
> > dselect looks at /etc/apt/sources.list and doesn't ever
> > look at the /etc/apt/preferences file?
>
> No. Michael is doing the right thing here. When configured to use apt as
> its access method (as is the default), 'dselect update' runs 'apt-get
> update' and then merges the output into dpkg's available file. I advise
> never using 'apt-get update' directly.

Thank you.  I know that I'd read that suggestion somewhere, and since,
I've made it my habit.  However, for purposes of a cronjob, how do I do
_this_ with dselect ???

        apt-get -q=2 update

Secondly, on the subject topic, I remain confused ;>

Yes, I may want some un-stable on this system.  I have read much of the
apt howto, and all of sections 3.8 & 3.10.

I still do not see how my configuration allows those un-stable
installations.

It is not so much that I minded installing those particular packages at
un-stable; but, I do *NOT* understand the logic behind my preferences
selecting those particular packages for installation.

I hope that I have now made my intentions clear: I need to fully
understand the logic behind configuring defaults/preferences, and I want
to be able to _predict_ what can and cannot be installed in that manner.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds