David A. Parker wrote:

> Whenever I start cups, it puts several random network printers located
> in other people's offices into my /etc/printcap file and they show up
> when I go to localhost:631.

There is an option in the config file to stop this happening (can't
remember which one.)

> I do not actually have access to these
> printers, I can't delete them from within the web interface.  When I try
> to delete them, the "Delete Printer" button is a link to IP address of
> the printer, not to localhost.  For example, my IP address 10.3.1.40,
> and one of these printers show up as "i9900" and the device URI is
> "ipp://ip-3-1-216.utica.edu:631/printers/i9900".  The "Delete Printer"
> button is a link to
> "http://ip-3-1-216.utica.edu:631/admin/?op=delete-printer&printer_name=i9900";
> and I get a "Forbidden" error when it tried to connect to 10.3.1.216.

Your issue is probably similar to this:

If so, you can get around it by entering URL by hand and

> Does anyone have any ideas about this?  Is cups just plain broken right
> now, or can this be corrected?

Dude, if this is your biggest problem with cups right now then you are
lucky. Apparently it is really broken in Testing/Unstable for some
people at the moment.

Hope this helps,

--
George Borisov