> From: Jude DaShiell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> 1) to limit total control of a system to a subset of
> applications for security reasons in large organizations and 2) to
> enable
> people who couldn't handle something say like console-based linux
> well to
> still use that computer; the operating system for the rest of us
>approach.

I have to agree, in another thread I stated my feelings and finally
got quake4-smp running right.  I had to use the Ubuntu's packages,
if I tried to use Nvidia's I got all sorts of problems.

I really don't want to move this machine over to Debian as most
things work, and I don't have the time right now.  I still don't
like the one user idea, especially coming from Debian, I am still
having problems with time setup, and certain passwords as I have a
proper multiuser setup. For instance in order to update the system
I can't use adept or what ever the gui is, I use aptitude and have
to log in as root first. If I do use the gui, my password for root
does not work, this goes for updating the panel's as well. It could
all be my fault as I need to adjust sudo passwords or something
like that.

Also reading the blogs about Debian developers, and Ubuntu seems to
make me more irate at Ubuntu for not being a good neighbor. I know
it goes both ways, but if you can't even make a closed source
package like Nvidia work out of the box, wtihout Ubuntu packages
then something is not right.

Gnu_Raiz