On Sun, 2006-07-16 at 04:58 +1000, Arafangion wrote:
> Owen Heisler wrote:
> > <snip>
> > This all seems to be about questions in the installer, but all the
> > installer really does (at least for me) is set up a minimal Debian
> > system.  I think the tasksel that the installer uses (that's it, right?)
> > is so simple that it is useless, but I don't want to use it anyway.  I
> > will use my preferred method of package management to install other junk
> > later.  For the newbie, this would be aptitude ran from base-config.
> >
> > My opinion is that the installer should be kept simple, excluding
> > package selection.  The installer sets up a minimal system, and other
> > packages are added later using other software.  /This/ software can be
> > set up to be newbie-friendly.  Their are way too many options for
> > packages for any of it to be incorporated into the installer.
>
> What is the "Minimal System"?
> When I install Debian, I tend to install just as little as I can, then
> back out of hte install as soon as I can - this, to me, is the ideal
> inital install of Debian - though I do tend to setup servers.

I mean that the Debian installer, I think, should install only what
is /necessary/ for a complete system.  This includes all the "important"
and "essential" packages but excludes stuff like ppp and (especially)
gnome or kde.

> Other people feel that the _everything_ should be installed (Which, to
> their annoyance, just isn't possible on Debian), and between these two
> extremes, we have all kinds of middle grounds.
>
> Some are very happy with the "Minimal" system that Ubuntu setups, others
> like tasksel, - the point I'm making is that what is "Minimal" is very
> hard to get more than two people to agree on.

Yeah, and I guess it doesn't really matter that much.  Just give me a
running Debian system that uses less space than Windows XP and I'll add
and remove as I desire.

> Personally, I love the minimal installation of Debian for servers - but
> lately I've prefered the "minimal" installation of Ubuntu for my
> desktops - the needs are different. (Having said that, I'm returning to
> Debian - I'm just too used to it.)

I'm not as "used to" Debian as I am Fedora, but I probably don't really
need to give you reasons for why I choose Debian.