On 7/15/06, John O'Hagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Saturday 15 July 2006 21:05, you wrote:
> On 7/15/06, John O'Hagan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 15 July 2006 18:42, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > If synaptic has no way of setting package repositories (I use Kpackage
> > which does), you'll need to edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and put
> > in the correct URLs. Make sure you follow the format of the existing
> > entries, or read man sources.list for a description of how they work.
>
> The local file paths are incorrect as well... does that mean fixing
> the URLs won't help until I fix those as well?

[...]

I'm pretty sure that if all is working, the files in /var/lib/apt/lists/ will
take care of themselves - they get overwritten on each update.

That said, it can't hurt to delete any files in /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ in
case they are blocking the update somehow - I remember having that problem
once.

John

Wow.  Does this ever end?
I realized I used the Italian example from the page you sent for
sarge, so I replaced it with a US site.  Again and again, but under
"repositories," Synaptic still shows the Italian site over and over,
reboot after reboot (the US site in sources.list does not show up in
the repositories menu, and the Italian site is removed from it
completely).  And then I checked the Italian site to see what version
of hotplug it has, and it is 0.0.20040329-22, and yet Synaptic is
STILL telling me:
"udev:
 Depends: hotplug (>=0.0.20040329-17) but 0.0.20040329-16ubuntu17 is
to be installed"

It is still using the files in /var/lib/apt/lists/, it hasn't updated
them, and there is nothing in /partial.

I thought I was starting to understand this process, but either I'm
doing something wrong or Linux is.
After wrestling this for a few hours, I discovered that, on startup,
my screen res is wrong (I've read many times of this problem), but
it's actually higher than I want it.  It chooses the highest, which my
video supports, but I keep selecting the next down and saying apply as
default, and it doesn't, and this is the only value I've ever
selected- it was defaulting to this for the past few days.

And, after wrestling with apt for a few hours, around the same time as
the screen res thing, Linux has started opening two "Jack Audio
Connection Kit"s and a qjackctl when I start up.  After boot, if I hit
alt-tab, I see 3 jacks.
I'm kind of speechless.

I'm searching the files in the folder now and seeing the faulty info
on hotplug; but one of the other files has the correct, later version;
somehow it's only showing me the old one.