On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 12:36:51 -0400, H.S. wrote:
[..]
>I usually use KDE and I see that by unmounting a USB device from its
>icon on the desktop, the icon seems to stay as long as the USB stick's
>activity LED keeps blinking. For large files (images), I have noticed
>that the icon stays on the desktop for quite a few seconds. Never had
>corruption on the USB stick. So it appears KDE removes the icon of a
>USB device only when the sync is complete.  I am surprised Gnome
>doesn't do so.

I am surprised too :-)

>BTW, I let udev mount the pluggable devices automatically.

I doubt udev is the party that mounts it. udev creates the device in
/dev, I don't think it can mount things.

AFAIU on GNOME this is what happens when a storage device is plugged in:

 1. udev creates a device node in /dev
 2. hal is informed about the new device
 3. gnome-volume-manager gets informed by hal and calls pmount to mount
    the device

/M

[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
     -- R.P. Feynman