Hi,

I wrote some time ago about a my linux disk that had crashed. The contents could be saved and were put on another disk (same size different brand). The new disk was not accessable from Windows anymore (explore2fs), as the old one was. I also could not boot from it anymore, tried that and the screen was filled with an endless string of "GRUB GRUB GRUB..." which *was* my boot manager.

I tried the Live CD rescue option:

From:  "Mumia W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:04:52 -0500
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>

On 08/13/2006 08:32 AM, Alle Meije Wink wrote:
[...] It gives messages like ``Error: Access violation at address 00097BD1 in module `explore2fs.exe'. Read of address 00921268''.

My guess is that the addressing on the Seagate is somehow different than on the Maxtor, which makes it less straightforward to transfer a whole disc image between the two. Is there a way to access the contents of the old disc on the new disc (e.g. by running a liveCD and then mounting the disc and re-installing Grub)?

Does anyone who's been in a similar situation know how to deal with this?

See if you can use a Knoppix disk or another Linux live CD to look at that partition.

The Live CD was Ubuntu in this case (as Knoppix, it's Debian-based). In the Live CD session, though, you're logged in as non-root, and the root pwd is not given. Does that mean exit Live CD?

I also tried Ubuntu alternate install, which contains text-based installation and rescue disk. These options all seem to want to interact with/write to the disk before you can log in, which is not something that makes me feel safe (without knowing what is actually written).

Does anyone know of a Live CD that permits you to do things in a terminal and interact with your old linux system?

Many thanks
Alle Meije