debian wrote:
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 12:03:47PM -0500, Kent West wrote:

As a general rule, the DHCP server should feed the gateway address to

Well after booting, I cannot ping any external addresses, although the
names are resolved ok.

your notebook. I'm not sure you can manually code in the gateway address if you're using DHCP, but assuming you can, the easiest way to get the

route add default gw aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

no ?

address is to go to a machine running Windows and from a Command Prompt window, type "ipconfig /all".

Nah, I cannot get a command prompt.  There are just no administrator
programs or facilities allowed to ordinary users.
If the Windows computer has MS-Office (specifically 2003), you can open MS-Word, click on Help/"About Microsoft Office Word", then "System Info", then "System Summary"/Components/Network/Adapter, and get the gateway in this way.

--
Kent