On Tue, Oct 10, 2006 at 03:03:35 +0930, Arthur Marsh wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote, On 2006-10-10 00:12:

> >>after today's update the problem seems to show up once again...
> >>
> >>any clue please?
> >
> >Printing with CUPS under KDE 3.5.4 had a bug that could be worked around
> >by commenting out the line
> >
> >Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
> >
> >in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Now with KDE 3.5.5 it seems that this line is
> >needed again. Make sure it is in your cupsd.conf and restart cupsys.
> >That fixed the problem for me a few days ago. (kdeprint 4:3.5.5-1)
> >

> Thanks for this. Apart from having to close the KDE control centre and
> re-open it after editing /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and running
>
> /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
>
> to see it work, the change worked smoothly.
>
> I wish that this piece of information had appeared in apt-listnews. Did
> it appear in any other change logs?

I noticed the new problem for the first time when kdelibs was updated
to version 3.5.5 (while still using kdeprint version 3.5.4). When I
realized that the problem persisted after kdeprint was updated as well,
I found this somewhat ominous passage in the changelog of kdelibs:

  * Drop the CUPS 1.2 patches that no longer apply, as more or less working
    support was merged upstream. Salvage a few changes to prevent errors
    from popping up when the user has no printers defined. Please report
    obvious regressions.

I did not file a bug report because the cupsd.conf file from the current
cupsys package (1.2.4-2+b1) works with the new KDE packages. Maybe we
should indeed file a wishlist bug for a short notice in the NEWS
section; after all, a number of people might have changed cupsd.conf to
work around the old bug.

--
Regards,
          Florian