Hi,

Probably what you have is a SATA dvd recorder, thats why it get not
recognized by Debian Etch.

You can install either Etch or Sarge provided you use the 2.4 series
kernel.

If you want 2.6 kernel for Sarge you'll have to build your own kernel or
get a precompiled kernel image (it must be greater than 2.6.8).

Or you can  install  Etch with 2.4 kernel (just do a base install), then
manually install 2.6 kernel image. To make the dvd recorder work have a
look here:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux#DVD_drive_not_recognized
may be it will help solve your problem

Regards

--
Vasil Benov,
Mobile: +359(0)889/202682

GPG Fingerprint: 2CDC 5DA0 4C0A 7C06 5259  DE12 ACF3 177C 8906 0908
Public Key URL:
  1) http://www.student-zw.fh-kl.de/~vabe0001/misc/key.asc
  2) http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de/