On Monday 16 October 2006 09:36, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
[...]
> I am running sarge. And I want to use ardour. I have installed ardour
> and qjackctl. But the only way to run both, qjackctl to start the jack
> deamon, and ardour, is as root. I am unable to star both programs as a
> normal user. How can I fix this?
[...]

Jack can be run as a normal user by installing realtime-lsm-source and
building the realtime-lsm module for your kernel by running module-assistant.

Then you can run jack as a normal user when this module is loaded. (Sometimes
I have had to reboot before the module will load successfully.) I think by
default any user in the audio group can use it.

However, for this to work you need

CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=m

in your kernel config. which is not the Debian default, so you may have to
recompile your kernel.

If you do, you may as well change the timer resolution to 1000 Hz, which is
necessary for decent audio work:

CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000

There is also the jackstart command, which has never worked for me...

Anyway, once you have jack running as a normal user, ardour should run that
way too.

I know, it should be easier!

HTH,

John