On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:31:53 -0400
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 01:12:48AM -0400, Jameson C. Burt wrote:
> >
> > We in Linux heavily use the command-line.
> > So, I was dismayed when my new Debian etch version displayed a Gnome
> > interface WITHOUT ANY XTERM (or GNOME-TERMINAL or KONSOLE)
> > and not even any immediate panel options for these terminals.
> >
> > Gnome's "Add to Panel" includes a trashcan and a file-manager just
> > like Microsoft, but not one of Unix's foundations -- a text
> > terminal. I eventually kludged a gnome-terminal icon onto the Gnome
> > panel. Or I can
> >    Applications -> Accessories --> Terminal
> > but this should not be the primary approach to command-line entries.
> >
> > Yes, once I have a gnome-terminal running, future logins re-deploy
> > it, and that's actually an improvement to making inclusions in
> > ~/.xsession (although Gnome drops some applications from later
> > logins as Sun did 10 years ago).
> >
> > THE XTERM (or its equivalent) SHOULD BE IN MY FACE
> > THE VERY FIRST TIME I LOGIN,
> > requiring at most a single obvious mouse click.
> >

> Well, it is well known that the target audience of GNOME is end user
> newbies or windows transplants.  That said, those types of people
> likely don't know about the command line.  If they do, they are likely
> frightened by it.  So, your options are:
>
>  * Use a desktop environment which targets power users
>  * Don't use a desktop environment at all
>  * Find the shortcut the first time and then place it where you want
> it
>  * Use Alt-F1 to bring up a "run" dialog and type gnome-terminal

since this seems a nit pick session , I believe to bring up the run
dialog box is <alt+F2>. Also imho Debian is not for a newbie or even
less so a windows convert, hence Ubuntu.

I noticed that the selection 'desktop' in tasksel now only installs a
Gnome Desktop, no KDE , which is guaranteed to confuse Windows
converts.One persons rhyme is another  persons reason.

--
Greg Madden