On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:30:06PM +0100, Ken Walker wrote:
> I'm getting a little confused about security updates
>
> I'm using Debian stable and daily do the apt-get update/upgrade.
>
> But when a package has a security update, do i have to start/stop specific
> applications.

The pre/post scripts stop and start services automatically much to the
dismay of some system admins.

> Like today, Python was updated due to a security fix.
>

> Is there any application i have to start/stop or does the apt-get update
> refresh all using applications.

The update just syncs the packages file. Now that I think of it, there
is something in the Debian FAQ (apt-get install doc-debian)
relating to "How does Debian upgrade a running system?"

> How would i know what to start stop as regards Python.

You shouldn't have to do anything.

> The machine in question is a file server and not the sort of thing i would
> like to reboot on every update.

Reboot? Why not /etc/init.d/<service> restart. I don't think you should
reboot. But the package scripts should do all that. Just treat an
upgrade like a planned outage.

--
Chris.
======