>> Actually, PDF is not a programming language, contrary to Postscript.
>> So it's much easier to deal with (and more difficult to introduce viruses
>> into it, among other things).
> Really?  Can you explain more about this?  I thought PDF was a subset of
> Postscript with some kind of compression and/or encryption applied.
> Was I mislead?  If so, what is it really?  Is there no relationship between
> the two?

AFAIU, PDF indeed contains a subset of Postscript, but this subset includes
basically all the "drawing primitives" and none of the "programming language
constructs".  I.e. it removes loops, conditional constructs, and things
like that.

BTW, it seems that what I'm looking for should be easy to do: I don't care
much if the resulting file is smaller, so it should be enough to play with
the "clipping path" so as to hide everything but the part I want to see.

        Stefan