cothrige wrote:
> In another thread in which I was seeking a better way to handle
> unicode in my terminals (my current preference mrxvt does not support
> it) rxvt-unicode was suggested as a possible alternative.  However,
> now I am dealing with an even more aggravating situation, and that is
> the alternate screen where the entire screen is cleared after closing
> things like man or less.  I cannot put into words how much I hate this
> "feature" and would love to find a way to turn it off.  I have googled
> and found nothing which worked.  I would assume that other Debian
> users are faced with this, since it seems the default in all the
> terminals, and I would very much appreciate any ideas of how others
> get it to stop.

I am not sure about rxvt, but with xterm you can set the titeInhibit
resource to true (e.g. add a line like XTerm*titeInhibit: True to your
.Xresources file), not sure it it works with rxvt. You may have to mess
with the terminfo database and remove the functionality of smcup and
rmcup, which of course correspond to the ti and te entries of termcap.

--
James Richardson
http://jretelcom.com