On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 11:55:11AM +0100, Bernard Adrian wrote:

> Till yesterday, i was using linux-image-2.4-27-2-k6 on my amd k6-II
> (64 Mo RAM).
>
> I decided to upgrade the kernel. In a first time i tried
> linux-image-2.6-486. No problem. Really.
>
> Second i said myself : "Dummy, amd k6-II is not a 486 processor but a
> 686". So i got linux-image-2.6-686. It's not written on it that it
> works on AMD K6-II. But i tried and ... nothing append. After loading
> wmlinuz the computer go back loading the bios.
>
> After having read
>  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=319878 i ask me if
>  the problem with 2.6-686 is due to the processor or to the low memory
>  (64 Mo).
>
> And of course, i ask me what is better : to go on with 2.6-486, to try
> again with 2.6-686 after increasing memory, or (really last) to return
> to 2.4.

The bug report mentions problems with loading the initial ram disk with
RAM equal to or less than 48MB so I very much doubt that that is your
problem.

If I remember correctly, the k6 doesn't support all 686 instructions so
you need to use a kernel compiled for the 586 or lower.

--
David Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>