On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 09:37:39PM +0100, steef wrote:

> some helpful soul on the alsa-userlist advised me to put a textfile with
>
> *options snd-hda-intel index=0 disable_msi=1*
>
> is some kind soul out there who can tell me the exact meaning of the phrase
> *--disable_msi=1*?

  These flags are passed directly to the "insmod" command, which will
 a) load the kernel module and b) set module-parameters.

  The parameters are entirely module-specific. The documentation for
 the snd-hda-intel module shows the following as recognized parameters:

   model  - force the model name
   position_fix - Fix DMA pointer (0 = auto, 1 = none, 2 = POSBUF, 3 = FIFO
size)
  single_cmd  - Use single immediate commands to communicate with codecs (for
debugging only)
  disable_msi - Disable Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI)

  What that means?  I have no idea.  But if you look at the code you
 might gain some clues.  Ultimately if it works I'd figure the fine
 details are mostly irrelevant..

  (See the file Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt inside the alsa
 distribution for a few more details.)

Steve
--
# The Debian Security Audit Project.