On Monday 30 June 2003 07:08, Voicu Liviu wrote:
> Hi debians :-)
> I'm pretty new on debian so please understand me :-)
>
> I have installed the base system of STABLE ver 3.
>
> I also made the /etc/apt/sources.list file with my local mirrors.
> Now I try to run:
> #apt-get install xfree
> and I get not found, also the same message for gnome.
>
> Please, any idea what do I have to do?

Hi Voici

The package for xfree86 is not called "xfree". Xfree86 is not even
packed into a single package. If you want a working graphical desktio,
install (at least) the following packages:
xserver-xfree86 xbase-clients xfonts-base xfonts-base-transcoded

The same applies to Gnome -> The whole thing is split up into a lot of
packages:
gnome-core gnome-panel gnome-applets sawfish
(These are not all gnome/xfree packages, but necessary ones will be
installed due to their dependencies).

The magic to find this out is done with a little program called
"apt-cache"
apt-cache search xfree
gives you a list of all packages in your sources.list which contain in
their name and description the word "xfree"

hope that helps
joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!