[ "anonymous" seems to be a silly name to be using, but hey... ]

"anonymous" wrote:

>I still have not received a definitive reply to my question as yet.
>Which, to repeat was:
>
>" I found out that I would need to download 18 CDs: 15 regular and 3
>for the update.  I would like to know whether all these CDs have
>binary files or are these also include CDs with sources and
>documentation. If so, which ones of them?"

First of all, ignore the update CDs - they're designed to allow people
with earlier CD sets to update their systems to 3.1r3.

The 15 CDs for 3.1r3 (binary-i386) are laid out in the following
order:

 1) First come the installer and installation docs

 2) Then the packages needed for the base system (kernel and other
    essential packages like libc)

 3) Then the tasks listed in the installer (mail server, samba, chunks
    of Gnome, KDE, etc.)

 4) Then the remaining packages, simply sorted in order of popularity
    using popcon results (see popcon.debian.org)

I fact, the same ordering is used for all of the variety of CDs and
DVDs. A businesscard CD just contains #1 above, a netinst contains #1
and #2. CD #1 of the full set _should_ contain #1, #2 and #3
above. DVD#1 will cover #1, #2, #3 and a large chunk of #4.

The packages on these CDs are all binaries and the documentation
packages to go with them, mixed by the popcon ordering. As they are
ordered by popularity, most people don't need anything like the whole
set; the first 5 or so will typically cover any common needs.

The sources live separately, on the (cunningly-named!) source CDs and
DVDs.

If you want to see which packages are contained on each CD, look in
the jigdo files that are also shipped from cdimage.debian.org. A jigdo
file is basically just an index of the files contained in each iso
image, along with some metadata and the checksums of those files.

Hope that helps...

Steve (debian-cd team, the guy who made the 3.1rX CDs)
--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?