On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 20:35 +0000, matthew yee-king wrote:
> Adam Hardy wrote:
> > I upgraded a whole set of packages in etch using synaptic.
> >
> > I answered several of the questions posed by the installation processses
> > of some of the packages but I must have answered one of them very wrongly.
> >
> > Now my system-, firefox- and thunderbird text refuses to appear until I
> > drag the mouse across it.
> >
> > I am not sure how I managed to trash the system and I don't see anything
> > immediate to restore it.
> >
> > This is the same in KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment. Can someone tell me
> > where to start?
> >

> Are you using the nvidia binary drivers? If so, I had this problem
> recently I think.  My solution is here:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20061122.213602.6eeb2583.en.html

It worked!  I had previously installed the nVidia driver using nVidia's
installer.  I used the same installer to uninstall (using the
--uninstall argument) the module.  Then I used the instructions [1]
linked from the above page to compile and install it the Debian way.
Note that I had to uninstall the previous module first, or it didn't
work.

Regards,
Casey

[1] http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html