On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 05:01:30PM -0600, W Paul Mills wrote:

> > None of these are easy to find, and not really what you are looking for,
> > so I can see why it's a bit frustrating.
> >

> Most likely the only way you will get it to install is compile it
> yourself. The license is fairly restrictive, therefore not in debian
> at all. For more info and downloads, go to the official site...
>
> http://www.trilon.com/xv/
>
> I use it, but have had to recompile from time to time to keep it
> working.

Thanks - as per my earlier post, I have built a new debian package
from source, which did the trick.

Perhaps the best solution would be to have a comprehensive debian
package database into which not only listed the packages in the
official archive, but for those applications which for whatever
reason can't be in the archive can have entries donated outlining
where to find them or how to build them (or even experiences from
people that have tried to get it working and failed).

As another contribution (in case anyone else finds themselves
looking for it in the list archives) here is my recipe for
installing xearth in current Etch:

        1.  Download from http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xearth.html
        xearth_1.1-10.1.dsc
        xearth_1.1.orig.tar.gz
        xearth_1.1-10.1.diff.gz
        2.  tar -xvzf xearth_1.1.orig.tar.gz
                gunzip xearth_1.1-10.1.diff.gz
                cd xearth-1.1
                patch -p1 <../xearth_1.1-10.1.diff
                chmod ugo+x debian/rules
        3.  edit debian/changelog and add an entry such as
xearth (1.1-10.3) unstable; urgency=low

 * increment version number (10.1 -> 10.3) to reflect recompile and avoid
 * conflict declaration in x11-common package

 -- Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  Mon,  1 Jan 2007 04:33:01 +0000

        4.      dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
                cd ..
                sudo dpkg -i xearth_1.1-10.1_i386.deb

It worked for me, but please let me know if there is better way or
something I should have done differently...

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com