-----Original Message-----
From: Justin Hartman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 10 January 2007 19:32
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Adding a new HDD - how do I move /var/lib/mysql ?

I currently have a server with an 80GB hdd which is running out of
space very quickly. I want to now add a 250GB hdd in addition to the
80GB one and move my mysql data to this new 250GB drive.

I am running mysql-5.0.30 on Etch which was installed via apt-get so
there has been no modifications made to mysql whatsoever. How do I now
move my mysql server to store files on the new hard drive instead of
the old one without having to mess around too much?

Any help appreciated.
--
Regards
Justin Hartman

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
James Stevenson wrote:
Install new hard driver.

Create a partition
Fdisk /dev/hdx
Add to fstab
As /dev/hdx /mnt/hdx Format it
Mkfs /dev/hdx
Mount /dev/hdx
Stop mysql
Mv /var/lib/mysql /mnt/hdx
Link it over
Ln -s /var/lib/mysql /mnt/hdx/mysql
Shouldn't the last line be replaced with:

   ln -s /mnt/hdx/mysql /var/lib/mysql

Although I would actually do:

   cd /var/lib
   ln -s /mnt/hdx/mysql

According to man ln the target is always first unless using the -t option.

NAME
      ln - make links between files

SYNOPSIS
      ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME   (1st form)
      ln [OPTION]... TARGET                  (2nd form)
      ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY     (3rd form)
      ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET...  (4th form)

DESCRIPTION
In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. When creating
      hard links, each TARGET must exist.

--
Marc Shapiro
[EMAIL PROTECTED]