I'm now sure I know enough to answer your question. I first attempted to use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run from here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9746.html
but my graphics card is too old.

Anyways, it is now working at 1024x768. I thinks its capable of more, though.

OFF-TOPIC: I now have a fully running debian system. It is my first. I have been using Suse, but I wanted to move on to something else after Novell's dealings with M$. So thanks to all on the debian mailing lists.

 > Just curious:

If you're using a stock debian kernel, why not use the pre-packaged
nvidia drivers?

Get X working with the nv driver and save that xorg.conf as
xorg.conf.nv.

Then install the nvidia drivers and run the nvidia-xconfig script to
convert the xorg.conf file and ensure that the modules get loaded
automatically.
It worked for me running Etch amd64.

Doug.