On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 12:15:45PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> I have a 2.5" Toshiba MK1032GAX hard drive in a USB powered
> enclosure which doesn't seem to work properly with Debian.
>
> The curious thing is that I am fairly sure that the drive is
> ok, because if I put it into an older (looks like the same
> product but with older PCB version) enclosure it boots without
> error.

> Hence it is starting to look like an issue with this Debian
> kernel and this particular USB HDD enclosure.
>
> The symptoms I see are that the boot starts normally
>  Lilo reads the kernel and initrd successfully
>  The kernel reports the HDD manufacturer/model/capacity correctly
>  Then...
>       sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>       SCSI device sda: 195371568 512-byte hdwr sectors (100030 MB)
>       sda: Write Protect is off
>       sda: assuming drive cache: write through
>       sda:<6>usb 1-2 : reset high speed USB device using ehci_hdc and address
> 2
>       usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>       usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>       usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>       usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>       usb 1-2: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
>       sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00050000
>
> The Debian install is Etch using RC1 install and kernel 2.6.18-3-486.
> (the original 2.6.17 kernel behaves the same).

If I understand correctly, you installed debian RC1 onto this drive in
another enclosure, which booted OK, but now that you've moved that drive
to the new enclosure it doesn't boot.

Looking at later posts to this thread, I wonder if its a module missing
from the initrd.  The good news, is that it seems the boot loader is
able to pull the kernel and initrd off the drive.

If you boot from another drive, do an lsmod, then mount this troubled
drive enclosure, and do another lsmod, you may find out what module is
needed to access the drive in this enclosure.   You should then be able
to add that module to the initrd.

What happens if you boot up from the other drive, then mount this drive,
then chroot into it and do an update to get newer than RC1?  Perhaps
that will solve the problem.

Good luck,

Doug.